Thursday, November 24, 2011

Now It Can Be Told

I'm going to retire Dec. 16th. I have plans. I couldn't say anything anywhere to anybody before I told my boss, and I waited until Nov. 15th for that.

I'm going to CA to visit my son and his family for a couple weeks over the holidays, then coming home to Be Retired. Ahhh....

I suspect - I strongly suspect - that the Ahhh... part isn't going to last longer than a couple-three months, maybe. Because I have a LOT to do. I intend to move to Paris (France, not Texas, ha ha ha co-workers you're so funny) around the turn of the year 2012-13. Probably more like Spring of 2013, but you never know; maybe I'll get my house sold sooner than I expect. I'm not looking to make a killing on it, so maybe it'll move.



But in the meantime, I have to pare down my possessions by about 99%. Literally, 99%. Then I have to sell my house. Neither of those are trivial activities. Lots of work.

Anyway, I've been planning & scheming and saving and figgerin' for a long time over this. I need to do it (a big dream of mine, of course, else why would I?) while I'm still young and healthy enough to enjoy it (not to mention, afford it). I'll have to live like a starving student (except with food) -- tiny walkup studio apartment, walk everywhere, scrimp, economize, budget budget budget - but the thing is - it is 100% totally do-able, and I'm doing it.

It's probably a good thing I have so much work and hassle between me and Paris. Otherwise I might just die of excitement!

And, I'm planning to get over there by cargo steamer! Adventure: In for a penny, in for a pound!

No comments: