Thursday, July 02, 2015

Tending to my knitting

I think I've mentioned here before that I have enough sock yarn for about 30 pairs of socks. I NEVER imagined I'd fall into the yarn stash trap, but here I am. Well, there seems to be a certain amount of enforced inactivity coming right up (after surgery on July 13th) so maybe I'll make some new socks to keep my hands busy.

Right now I have two pair on needles. Both are self-designed, if by "designed" you mean "casting on a bunch of stitches and making it up as you go along." I am NOT a fabulous knitter but it turned out that sock-knitting is really easy to figure out! And I have a really hard time keeping track of anything much more complex than a knit 3, purl 1 rib stitch pattern, so I just basically make the same sock over & over again. I'll get venturesome and try a single lace leaf pattern in the middle of the sides of a pair of socks - eventually. For now my two main reasons to knit are to replace my rapidly-disintegrating store-bought-sock wardrobe with all me-made socks, and to keep my hands busy. The old socks are falling apart much faster than I can knit new ones, is the problem. So, I need to trundle on.

Here's the current sock:


It's not perfect, obviously. I don't aim for perfection, I'm just doing the best I can.

This is the first sock of the other pair, which I've set aside while I try to figure out how to approach the heel flap and turn:


Both of these pairs are made of CoBaSi yarn, a new fibre for me. Cotton, Bamboo, and Silk! The intent is to have some non-wool socks for the warmer months.

I don't know why I seem to have narrowed my interest down to socks. Just can't muster much interest in anything else, though there are a couple of winter-wear accessories projects I have everything needed to make. Maybe this fall those will distract me from socks for awhile.

I usually have plenty of help when I knit:


You can see O'Keefe is applying all her kitty intelligence to supervising me. Here she's just about to mention that I dropped that last stitch...

No comments: